Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Run, Mommy, Run: Part III

Click HERE for Part I.  Click HERE for Part II.

September 15, 2012 - Heroes for Children 5k, Plano, TX

I have officially been A Runner for a year.  This race was a special one for me.  This month last year, I was reluctantly registering for the Heroes for Children 5k 2011 and fully expecting to drop dead a mile into the race.  I never dreamed that in a year's time, I would be completing my 12th race in as many months.  But here I was, back to the HFC race on my favorite flat course for the 2nd year in a row!  As you read in Parts I and II, I had hit a wall with my running.  I wasn't training consistently, I was indulging in way too many cupcakes and, as a result, it had been 4 months since I had finished a race in under 40:00.  I was determined to bust out of my slump for my 12th race.  My goals for this race were to 1) beat last year's time (41:56) and 2) finish in under 40:00. 

It was a nice, cool morning and I decided to break my rule of never wearing running shorts again during a race.  My thighs like to consume butt-hugger running shorts and I end up finishing the race with my shorts lodged in my uterus.  But I decided to give loose running shorts a try and see if they would stay in place.  Add in some new polka-dot running socks and I was rarin' to go.  My niece ran it with me and she's one of the few people who can pull off the polka-dot-sock-fanny-pack look.

This race started out much like my best race, the Firefly Run back in March when I finished in 36:08.  I had a ton of energy in the beginning and I managed to not only run the first 4 minutes straight without walking (MAJOR for me), but I also finished the first mile in exactly 10:00.  There are pros and cons to this.  The pro was that I now had an entire 30:00 to finish 2 more miles and still meet both goals.  I could practically WALK that!  The con was that by finishing that first mile in 10:00, I was almost out of steam.  I have a very hard time pacing myself when I run.  It's all or nothing with me and I really need to work on this flaw of mine.  By mile 2 (23:30), I was slowing down and walking more than running.  My legs were REALLY heavy and I had to give myself an angry pep talk ("That baby in the stroller just passed your fat a$$, so get moving!") in order to encourage myself to start running.  I checked my RunKeeper app every minute or so to check my time and pace. 

By the 3-mile marker, I had nothing left so I knew I had to save up just enough energy to run across the finish line.  I have a rule that it's not ok to walk across the finish line at a race.  So no matter how tired I am, I WILL run the last 100 feet or so of every race.  I saw my niece waiting for me at the finish line, camera ready, so I mustered up every ounce of energy I had left and started running, fake smile plastered on my face for my finish line picture. 


For the most part, my running shorts behaved.  I don't recall having to pick them out of my rear during this race like I did my other running shorts.  In fact, I didn't even realize they had crept up until I saw the not-so-flattering 'after' picture.


Overall, the race was a big success.  I met both goals and finished in 38:52!  Back under 40:00 and well on my way to climbing completely out of my running slump.  Next month:  HALLOWEEN RACE!!  I let my friends vote on my race costume and, while I would've LOVED to dress up as Troy Polamalu and run with a football, the vote was for Bat Girl!  :)  See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment